The Student News Site of Francis Lewis High School

FLHS News

Dallas Buyer’s Club: A Review

Matthew McConaughey is Ron Woodruff in the new film Dallas Buyers Club. Ron becomes an AIDS advocate in the late 80s, after he discovers he has been diagnosed with HIV from having unprotected sex with a frequent drug user. He befriends a transgendered woman,  Rayon, played by Jared Leto. Ron organizes a club, the Dallas Buyers Club, which gives out functioning medication to fight AIDS.

Ron is faced with many hardships, as the government tries to shut his operations down, since the drugs he distributes are not legal in the United States. He makes frequent trips to Mexico to receive this medication, which has been shown to improve HIV patients health almost completely back to normal. While trying to stay one step ahead of the government, he quickly turns this club into a profitable business. However, towards the end, he feels the need to help these people rather to profit off them. The exasperating journey he takes changes his mindset about the gay community and towards the end, we notice a new Ron. He is a man who fights for those in need of help, rather than a man who fights for his own survival.

Dallas Buyers Club is a very powerful film that really sheds some light on the HIV epidemic and gives us a chance to learn essentially how HIV victims lived during this decade of unrest. As Ron tries to be more than just a selfish entrepreneur, we becomes absorbed in his quest to save others. Though he may not be the most pleasant guy, it’s almost impossible not the like him towards the end. Both Ron and Rayon are characters that are defined by their lifestyle but manages to break through this barrier when faced with a formidable enemy.

Matthew McConaughey and Jared Leto are absolutely stellar in their performances. Both actors have no trouble engaging the audience with their charismatic performances. McConaughey lost a massive amount of weight in order to achieve the desired look for this role. It was definitely worth it. This is a great year for both. McConaughey has really improved from the mediocre films he is known for and after watching this, it might just be the best performance I’ve seen this year. Leto’s role as a transgendered woman is also another incredible performance. His ability to play such a role comes as such a challenge, it leaves us speechless.

The film’s message is certainly the key part of why this film is so great. The people who battled this disease and those who are still battling this disease are still people. People who may have been our neighbors, our co-workers, and even our family members. This film gives us a good sense of how these people were treated and how they struggled to survive.