The Student News Site of Francis Lewis High School

FLHS News

Girls Basketball Team Dominate the PSAL Championship

Photo by Mark Bonifacio, NY Post

Photo by Mark Bonifacio, NY Post

Photo by Mark Bonifacio, NY Post

All of Francis Lewis came out to support the girls’ basketball team as they defeated Brooklyn’s South Shore Vikings in an exhilarating, yet skittish game.  This past Saturday, March 8th, the Francis Lewis Patriots earned the opportunity to play at Barclay’s center in Brooklyn for the Public School Athletic League championship. Once again, the Francis Lewis Patriots demonstrated why they are undefeated.

Francis Lewis students, faculty, and parents showed their support in an action-packed game that ended with a 65-58 score. Junior Sara Mohamed stated, “That was amazing, when the final buzzer went off, I’ve never been more proud to be part of Francis Lewis. Go Lewis!” Mohamed’s reaction to the game perfectly described the excitement that went on in the stadium.

The girl’s basketball team performed well, thanks to sophomore Sierra Green, who scored 21 points during the game. Junior Lia Burt, who was watching the game, praised Green: “I love the way Sierra Greene played. I loved the way she made her shots, and it really helped us.” Chi La Bady, a junior on the basketball team, followed closely behind Green, scoring 19 points in the game.

At the end of the game, School Chancellor Carmen Fariña, alongside the other board members of the Department of Education, handed out medals and awards to the team, including an academic achievement award to sophomore, Christina Huerta. Francis Lewis High School coach Stephen Tsai accepted the trophy alongside the rest of the team. The girls’ basketball team will now move on to the Federation tournament which will take place later on this month, competing with the best teams of the state. Go Patriots!

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Girls Basketball Team Dominate the PSAL Championship”

1. Cristina Lozano on March 17th, 2014 4:42 pm

Go FLHS!

[Reply]

2. Shannon Sciaretta on March 17th, 2014 4:44 pm

Wow, this article spoke to me on an emotional level. The amount of passion and ethusiasm francis lewis kids have for their fellow peers is amazing. Thank you for sharing this article!! 🙂

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.