The Student News Site of Francis Lewis High School

FLHS News

Francis Lewis High School Hosts World Peace Conference

Students at Francis Lewis High School participated in a three-day long peace conference starting from December 15-18, in order to learn about different religions from around the world. The conference consisted of student presentations about different religious belief systems from around the world, including Daoism, Buddhism, Catholicism, Islam, Judaism, and Hinduism

“I think this is a really good experience for students to see the world on a much bigger and global scale so by exposing them to the different world religions and what happens when these religion collide,” said Ms. Dellabonta, a Global History teacher. “It gives a good perspective of having a little bit more sensitivity or empathy to what’s going on in the world today.”

The first day consisted of students presenting their research projects to other students, and talking about the religious belief systems they researched, as well as religious conflicts.

“I’ve been able to talk to more and more people and introduce them to the topic,” said Brianna Cole, who has a presentation on the Anti Sikh Revolt. “It’s a topic that not everyone knows about.”

During the second day of the World Peace Conference, students were invited to a panel discussion where leaders of the religious belief systems talked to the students about the common threads in their religions.

“When we see someone in need, we need to act in need. When we see someone who is being discriminated, we need to love them,” said Father Christopher Bethge, a Catholic priest, to the audience.

“Many of these different religious beliefs all follow similar beliefs, which is promoting peace, said Dr. Khurshid Khan, President of the Islamic Circle of North America. “Peace comes from you, and peace returns to you.”

Student spectators were also very impressed with this event.

“This whole conference helped out a lot just to shed a light on religions and learn more about it,” said Anthony O’Hara, a sophomore. “I think this event was very educational. It helped out knowing new cultures and religions and it influenced me a lot.”

Teachers also reflected on the importance of learning about all different religious belief systems from around the world.

“Diversity goes a long way,” said Social Studies teacher, Mr. Wilkes. “Everybody’s religion is just as important as their own.”

Written by Diana Bradica, Karen Lin, and Jordan Boyd-Gringold

Social Media reporting by Manoli Figetakis, Thomas Cheng, Katelyn Chau, and Mike Santana. Follow more reporting on Twitter with #FLHSPeace