The Student News Site of Francis Lewis High School

FLHS News

Filed under News

Breast Cancer Awareness Month at Francis Lewis: Why is Breast Cancer Awareness Month Most Significant to You?

Thomas Cheng
Mayra Rosa: “The first thing I can think of is my mother in law passed away in 2009 and she was diagnosed with breast cancer a year earlier. I know a few young women that have been diagnosed, you know, of all ages of course, and my 28-year-old daughter does the breast awareness month, the walks. I want to support all the women and men out there.”

Thomas Cheng
Ms. Vittiglio: “It just brings to light how common this disease is for women in general. The growing number of people with breast cancer is scary for women, and men, but I think more so for women. Perhaps this month can enlighten more about the fact that it is a genderless disease. And it brings light to a very important issue: Everyone knows somebody who has had breast cancer. I know someone who passed from it, so it’s important.”

Thomas Cheng
Ms. Larsen: “Well we both had a very close friend of ours who was in the English Department who passed away from breast cancer. So it’s very much in our minds that in this month, we must remember her. It was a close friend of both of us. It was very traumatic, and very sad.”
Changa: “And that was five years ago.”
Larsen: “She was sick for a very long time it was awful. Her name was Ursula Cassese”

Thomas Cheng
Gil Purbie: “Because my mother is a breast cancer survivor. Yes, she had breast cancer, she was diagnosed, she had a surgery, and she did chemo. Now she’s breast cancer free.”