The Student News Site of Francis Lewis High School

FLHS News

Divergent: A Movie Review

Jaap Buitendijk

Jaap Buitendijk

Divergent is the first movie of the trilogy that takes place in futuristic Chicago. The film started out with a brief introduction narrated by the protagonist, Tris. She is played by the actress Shailene Woodley. In the film, people are divided into five factions based on their personality. There are the “Dauntless” known for their bravery, “Amenity” known for peace, “Abnegation” known for selflessness, “Candor” known for truthfulness, and “Erudite” for their intelligence. Those that fail to fit into a faction lived in poverty and had no faction. Tris comes from the “Abnegation” family. This faction was responsible for giving aid to the poor and most significantly ran the government.

All the youths reaching the age of 16 including Tris and his brother, Caleb were sent to take the yearly aptitude test to determine which faction would best suit them. This gave them the opportunity to transfer to another faction at the Choosing Ceremony. However, Tris’ results from the test showed she was a divergent. The divergent individuals are constantly being hunted down because of the threat they pose to society. They have the ability to shut down the whole system due to their multiple traits. She was fortunate that her evaluator, Tori kept her identity a secret, and deleted her results.

At the Choosing Ceremony, both Caleb and Tris decided to transfer and leave their parents. Caleb went to Erudite, while Tris to Dauntless. Upon arrival to the Dauntless she befriended Christina, Will, and met Four. He was their trainer (along with Eric) who informed them that only the top ten fittest would be official members of “Dauntless”. Through her journey for survival, Tris found herself training aggressively for hours next to Four. Her relationship with him soon accelerated as he discovered her secret as a divergent. This brought them even closer. Together they were to save the society when Jeanine, leader of “Erudite” teamed up with Eric, and created the second war.

This highly anticipated movie surely did not let the fans of the books by Veronica Roth down. It teaches the audience the importance of: family, identity and humanity. In Dauntless, Tris still hold a bond with her family. They brought her through hardship and provided comfort when needed. Furthermore, there were multiple messages such as freedom and fear. Freedom is something that we should appreciate, while fear is something we should try to overcome.

During majority of the film I noticed many similarities to The Hunger Games. For example, both have a heroine fighting for survival and what they believe in. Even so, the actors/ actresses Theo James and Shailene Woodley completely glued my eyes to the screen. Their performances were superb. Also, their chemistry was undeniable. You could feel the connection Tris and Four shared, and their importance in each other lives. I cannot wait for the next movie entitled, Insurgent to be released next year.

By Esther Chai

1 Comment

One Response to “Divergent: A Movie Review”

1. Elizabeth Meneses on April 3rd, 2014 10:15 pm

Are these articles made by students? If so, how could i join to become one of the writers?

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Divergent: A Movie Review

Arts & Entertainment

RENT: A Review

• Divergent: A Movie Review

Arts & Entertainment

Francis Lewis Teens Show Off Their Culture at the International Festival

• Divergent: A Movie Review

Arts & Entertainment

Broken Age: A Review

• Divergent: A Movie Review

Arts & Entertainment

Rick Ross: An Album Review

• Divergent: A Movie Review

Arts & Entertainment

Believe: A Review

• Divergent: A Movie Review

Arts & Entertainment

Nebraska: A Film Review

• Divergent: A Movie Review

Arts & Entertainment

An Assassin’s Honor: A Video Game Review

• Divergent: A Movie Review

Arts & Entertainment

Dallas Buyer’s Club: A Review

• Feature

JROTC: A Look Inside

• Divergent: A Movie Review

Feature

Necessary or Profiling? Francis Lewis Feels the Effects of the Travel Ban

Divergent: A Movie Review