The Student News Site of Francis Lewis High School

FLHS News

Broken Age: A Review

“Broken Age” is a graphic adventure game by Tim Schafer. The player can choose from two characters at the start of the game, and can switch characters at any time.

Vella Tartine (voiced by Masasa Moyo) is a young girl whose duty to her village, Sugar Bunting, is to sacrifice herself to the monster Mog Chothra. Several girls are offered in each village at what they call “The Maiden’s Feast” to the beast, so that the monster will not destroy the village. Most of the village is rather eager and submissive, but Vella is determined to change their fates by fighting Mog Chothra instead.

Players also get the choice of playing as Shay Volta (voiced by Elijah Wood). Ever wonder what it would be like to travel through space? With an overprotective mother? Well look no further. Shay has been living on a ship since his planet’s destruction, and with a motherly computer to keep an eye on him. She provides fun and safe adventures to entertain him, and keeps him well cared for. The ship just seems like a giant kiddy room, with adorable knitted creatures, ice cream avalanches and colorful rooms. Although these missions were fun the first hundred times, Shay wants to escape the safety of his ship and go on real adventures.

From the moment you start playing the game sucks you into its fantasy world, with its vast and different settings, lively characters, and interesting storyline. There’s a lot to explore and discover. When I started playing it I found myself spending ten minutes deciding on what cereal to have for breakfast and wondering what the secret of Soylent Dreams was. Something as simple as not picking up a spoon can cause five minutes of comedy.

When I played as Shay I could really feel the monotony of his day, since until you learn how to break the cycle the routine stays the same. When I played as Vella I found that the eagerness of the villagers to please Mog Chothra to be entertainment in itself, with the girls doing all they could to make themselves look good enough to eat. It’s a sickeningly sweet competition, with all the other villages try to outdo each other.

You can really appreciate every aspect of the game, and you can see the effort put into each second. Some of the puzzles in the game are a bit difficult, but you can solve most of them on your own. There are also quite a few celebrity voice actors, for instance: Jack Black, Wil Wheaton, and Jennifer Hale. The game is currently being sold for $25, and is compatible for PC, Mac, and Linux. At the moment, only Act One is available, but Act Two will be available for download as a free update.

By Erica Reichler