Francis Lewis Participates in the Harumatsuri Celebration

Caryl Anne Francia

Japanese language students from approximately 20 schools waiting for the opening ceremony to commence in the UNIS auditorium.

Japanese language students from Francis Lewis High School attended the 23rd Harumatsuri or “Spring Festival” Celebration on March 19 at the United Nations International School.  Organized by the Northeast Council of Teachers of Japanese (NECTJ), the event allows students from the Tristate area and Japan to participate in activities and meet professionals who work in jobs related to Japanese culture.

Students enjoyed performances by Francis Lewis students as well as other high schools at this year’s talent show. Performing for the second consecutive year, Black Clover of FLHS danced to the song “Mr. Music”  written by rerulili featuring Hatsune Miku, as the second act.

Following the talent show, the Pamphlet Cover Design contest winners were recognized.  Three were from Francis Lewis, including first place winner Erika Versoza.  Afterwards Harumatsuri speech winner Kelvin Choi of Northern Valley Old Tappan High School gave an encore presentation. 

Approximately 500 high school students participate in Harumatsuri every year.  Application deadlines for next year’s contests are available here.