Seniors Say Sayonara: Class of 2019

Excitement spread throughout Francis Lewis High School on May 1 as the Class of 2019 celebrated their final college decisions. The event, aptly named Decision Day, was held in the courtyard and gave students plenty of room to say goodbye to their school and their friends.  Amidst the acceptance letter smiles, there was also laughter, ice cream, and games shared between students on a bright afternoon.

Teachers and guidance counselors attended, proudly reflecting on the graduating class’ accomplishments over the past four years. The soon-to-be college freshmen represented their universities through their hats, shirts, and hoodies as they took countless pictures, memorializing one of their last high school memories together.  

• We Made It: Crowds of seniors flooded the courtyard to meet with their fellow soon-to-be graduates. The excitement is both visual and emotional, as the Class of 2019 departs FLHS.

Nathalie Segarra-Valle

• "During my junior year, I was going to Sloan definitely, but I switched to Albany. They gave a six-year program in Pharmacy, so it’s very cool, and I like the atmosphere of it." -Jielin Li, Albany College of Pharmacy & Health Sciences

Nathalie Segarra-Valle

• Ice Cold Treat: Seniors celebrate their college acceptances with a student-run ice cream bar.

Nathalie Segarra-Valle

• "Actually I made my decision three months ago, so not really. I just took it in a heartbeat. They have a really cool eight-year program where I can go to become a doctor without taking the MCAT, so I took that right away." -Rose Berkovski, St. Bonaventure University

Nathalie Segarra-Valle

• Shoots and Ladders: The Class of 2019 also tried their hand at a variety of games and raffles, courtesy of the FLHS staff.

Paulina Robles

• "I was in between that and Hofstra and it was really down to the money and the campus. I kind of like NYIT more. It is in the forest so it is a cute vibe. Hofstra was too much white privilege, honestly." - Michael Barakayev, NYIT Dual Degree PA program

Nathalie Segarra-Valle

• Proud of Guidance: School counselors, Mr. Brown and Mr. Verastegui, reflect on a successful Decision Day turnout and an even more successful year for their graduating students.

Nathalie Segarra-Valle

• "They gave me the most money of all the schools and they have a really nice facility so I’m glad I’m going there. The part I’m most excited about is staying home so I can actually be home and be closer to my family and the networking opportunities available in NYC." -Sam Katzap, St. John’s: Track & Field and Finance

Nathalie Segarra-Valle

• Make Your Mark: Hundreds of seniors flocked to sign the infamous Decision Day banner before it was hung up for display in the lobby.

Nathalie Segarra-Valle

• "It wasn't really hard. I just had to think it over with my family and everyone else. College means a lot. I have to get myself together. It's going to improve my life. It'll help me grow into a better person. I want to manage sports, and from there, we’ll see where it takes me. I have to balance out school and basketball at the same time, and it's really hard, but I keep it even-even just to make sure." -Kadeem Jones, Borough of Manhattan Community College

Nathalie Segarra-Valle

• Speechless: Fellow senior and friend of Kadeem Jones watches with pride as Jones is interviewed about his college decision.

Nathalie Segarra-Valle

• St. John's Bound: Francis Lewis High School senior proudly displays her college decision.

Paulina Robles

• College Competition: Tensions ran high and scores ran even higher, as the class of 2019 participated in various lawn-games during Decision Day.

Rachel Kim

• "It's going to be different because it’ll be easier especially with not traveling. I'll be dorming there, so after practice I can just go to my dorm. It was easy to pick the college I want to go to." - Luka Jakic, Hunter College

Nathalie Segarra-Valle

• Fly High: The Class of 2019 watches as the annual balloon popping tradition occurs.

Nathalie Segarra-Valle